Tuesday, November 19, 2013

'Pits' Happen!

First, let me say that in no way, shape or form am I using this blog to brag or boast about myself or to make it sound as if I am better or above others.  Yes, I am proud of what I have accomplished over the past 4 years.  But I, or anyone for that matter, am entitled to be proud of their self every now and then and I am no different.  As I look toward the weeks end, I am humbled by my experiences in life and recovery.  Hard to believe that four years ago on November 23 my life changed and I have enjoyed most of the changes since then.  There have been, and will be, times that I would like to have gone differently, but everything has it's own purpose and process.  I cannot change anyone but myself...

Where do I go from here...forward, always forward.  The past is just that, the past!  Accept it for what it is, learn all that you can from it and move forward with your life.  Sounds easy enough right??  Well, not always.  No one promised me that my life was going to be a 'bowl of cherries' in recovery, trust me there are 'pits' along the way.  What makes the difference is not the 'cherries' but the 'pits'.  How you handle them, work through them, and accept them for what they are.  I truly feel that I have grown so much over the last 4 years, but realize that there is a lot of growth left.  If I play my cards right, I will be growing until the day God takes me home.  And that is more than alright with me!

I understand there are those that have a hard time understanding a 12 step program.  This talk of a 'Higher Power'.  Hearing folks say you can make it whatever you want your Higher Power to be, like that 'doorknob'.  What folks need to realize and understand is that 12 step programs are not religion in nature, but are very spiritual.  I must remember that there are those that are in programs that do not believe in God as I do.  Not all have experience with religion and Christianity as I do and others do as well.  And again, I said 'I' because this is my thoughts and feelings and point of view, no one else's.

Being raised in the church does not automatically make me a Christian.  Nor does it mean that I am not a Christian in the eyes of God.  Me, I am religious and spiritual.  That is all because, I feel, I was raised in the church and understand, or have my own understanding of God and His will for me.  Take this blog for example, it is only through the love and direction that God has given me for this blog to be written.  Many do not know that when I started the blog, my reading level and ability to spell were, well kinda non-existent.  Thanks to the help of my mother, who proof reads all my post, and the encouragement I receive from others in my life today.

So, you ask, what are you saying to us today Janie?  Well, there will be struggles throughout your life.  Good times as well as bad times that you will have to handle.  You will make mistakes along the way, but learn from them and do something different next time, if there is a next time.  Become and remain humble, no one is better than anyone else.  Remain teachable, accepting, open-minded.  There can be no growth without knowing and understanding these principle on a daily basis.  We all have our own set of circumstances that we must work with and learn to live with.  Circumstances can be changed, but are you willing to do the footwork that may be required for them to change?  Do they need to change?  Only you can answer those questions for yourself.

As stated before, life can be a bowl of cherries, but there will always be pits.  What you do with those pits can determine what path your life will take next.  I can understand, today, why the pits are needed from time to time.  Thank God for allowing me this ability to share in a way that can help someone else.  That is what this blog is intended for, helping one other person or more.  But if just one person can take and use anything that I post then I feel that I have done what was needed at that time.  All I pray for is that a seed be planted.  That is all I can ask to happen.  For as long as a seed is planted there is always possibilities for growth.  Renewed life.  New beginnings.

I hope that I have planted many seeds with this tool, this blog, that I have.  You will be amazed at what you can do if you use the tools that have been given to you.  Yes, I feel that God has given me the tool of writing, expressing myself in words, so that I may reach out and plant that seed in someone, anyone that is in need.  The holiday season is upon us and I pray that all remember that it is not always 'all about self'.  Get outside of yourself and see how different life can be.  Be kind to others for you may not know the exact nature of their life at that time.  As the saying goes 'don't judge a book by it's cover'.  Judgement is not ours to do, that is God's place and His alone.

May you all have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving next week.  Remember to be thankful for the things you have.  Not the material things, but the principles you live by today.  Like love, compassion, humility, and acceptance, tolerance and so on.  Those are the things that we carry with us and that make us who we are.  Material things are just that, material.  They can be taken away just as they were given.  The principles by which you live can only be taken away by you and you alone.

This post is lengthy but I just felt the need to say all the things that I shared.  I so appreciate those that read my post and those that let me know what they think for that is the only way that I am able to see that my seeds are planted and I pray for their growth.  Love and much respect to each of you.




No comments:

Post a Comment