Thursday, April 4, 2013

Road Signs And Warning Labels

As I travel on my 'Road of Recovery', I see many road signs throughout my days.  'Speed limit' signs warning me that I am traveling a bit too fast and need to slow down so that I may soak up the lessons recovery is trying to teach me.  'Detour' signs telling me that I don't need to travel that path.  A different path would be better at this time.  'Construction' signs showing me how to build a foundation and network of recovery with other addicts.  'Caution' signs are abundant in my recovery.  Making me look at what I do, how I act, what I say all day and all night.  People are watching me and listening to me.  I need to make sure the things I say and do are a clear, correct message of recovery.

'Yield' signs pop up every now and then, warning me to be especially careful on how I proceed on my path.  And to be careful as to who I tell what to.  Not everyone that attends a 12 step meeting is there for recover.  'Stop' signs come along when I really do not need to continue on the part of road my recovery is traveling on at that time.  It is time for new a direction.  There are times that when you think a 'Stop' sign is coming, I will get a 'Dead End' sign instead.  That is when I must look at myself and ask was there not a 'Dead End', 'Wrong Way', or 'Detour Ahead'.

I feel that as long as I see those 'Two Way Traffic' signs that I am remaining teachable.  Now, there are those other signs like 'No U-turn', 'Bump', 'Do Not Enter', 'One Way', and 'Detour Ahead' that will pop up from time to time and I must take those as they come.  There are even those times that I have to put up a 'No Parking' or 'No Trespassing' myself for protection from things that I feel are harmful to my recovery.

Yes, my 'Road Signs in Recovery' are present every day and night.  If I do not show what I have learned and the experiences I have had in recovery then I am not only cheating myself but others that may be on a path that I have been down.  By sharing these experiences, it enables other addicts to see what the outcome may be and help them to decide if that is the path for them or not.

My 'Warning Labels' are also in every area of my life.  'Handle with care' so as to express a clean, clear message of recovery to those that are seeking it.  'Enter at your own risk' is a warning that what may seem to be something good for my recovery may not be as good as I think it would.  I must be aware of what I know is recovery and what I think recovery is.  At meetings, it seems I have a 'Shake Well' label on my forehead because of things others say, do, or just a look they may give.  And I can say that the label 'Should Finish All Medication' would apply to the 12 steps and Traditions themselves.

In working the steps and learning the Traditions of the fellowship, I could say that they 'may cause drowsiness' or 'should be taken with food or milk' due to the fact that I have to look at myself.  My part in all areas of my life.  I am learning 'how' to share with the newcomer so as to create an atmosphere that makes them comfortable.  A message that makes them 'hungry', so they want to come back for more.  I have learned that newcomers are needed to remind me or others just what it is still like out there, doing who knows what.

It is my understanding that 'a desire' to stop using is all that 12 step programs require for membership.  I can relate to this as in the beginnings of these programs there had to be folks that were in a very confused state of mind due to the substance or substances they had consumed.  Not all had clear thinking when they first came to the fellowship for help.  That is why today, I am at least, taught that anyone is welcome as long as they have 'a DESIRE' to get clean.  To stop using and find a new way to live without the use of mood or mind altering substances.  I have to be tolerant, accepting, open minded and willing to let that person be where they are at.  Because, let's face it, they did make it to a meeting to ask for help.  Though they may not be clean or sober, they are THERE!

That is all that is needed, for in the beginning the members of the fellowship were often in this exact state of mind.  Using because that is all they know to do until someone in the fellowship is willing to show them a different way.  A better way of life without using.  My predecessors have taught me that I must welcome a newcomer with open and caring arms.  That I am to have patience, acceptance and tolerance where they are concerned.  They don't know anything else but using, so why would anyone expect them to act any different than they know how???

That, for me, is when the fellowship is at it's weakest point.  For if there are members that do not embrace that newcomer, that member is not tolerant to the state of mind that newcomer is in, not accepting that at least they are showing the only thing required from them, that Desire.  Why is this so important?  How do the 'road signs' and 'warning labels' apply?  Give that a moment and I am sure that you can start seeing how my 'road signs' and 'warning labels' make perfect sense.

So, if you are a member of a fellowship of 12 steps, then I ask you 'how' do you treat a newcomer?  What do you do if they are high?  Are you accepting to them the way you want to be or the way you should be?  Do you welcome them and encourage them to keep coming back and to do the best they can to come back clean?  I really do hope that this has made you look at yourself for that is the whole idea, I think, of the 12 steps and Traditions.  I must look at me, how I do things, what I say, how I act, and all those uncomfortable questions that none of us really want to ask.  But that is exactly what 12 step programs are designed to do.

Do you have 'Road signs' and/or 'Warning labels' pop up where newcomers are concerned?  You should!  But it is my feeling while I would 'Proceed with Caution' with newcomers, I am still required to 'Treat them the way that I would want to be treated.'  No, that is not a sign or label, but what most have learned to be 'The Golden Rule'.


No comments:

Post a Comment