Saturday, November 10, 2012

Being Thankful...

Well, it's November once again.  A month that we honor those that have and are still serving this country of ours.  It is also the anniversary for the Marine Corp.  Where we celebrate and give thanks.  And this is the month  that I entered into recovery.

I would like to start off saying "I appreciate all that those in our armed forces have done for me over the years and will continue to do in years to come.  You have, knowing or unknowingly, provided a safe and protected place for me to live without fear.  A place where I can live, raise my family and enjoy my life from day to day.  You go above and beyond the call of duty and I don't ever want to just take that for granted.   I am able to live in a country that is free from a lot of horrors of other countries.  I can go to bed at night and get a restful sleep without being afraid for my life or my families lives."  Many have died for this country and I am forever grateful to them and their families.  There are those that have lost parts of themselves while serving this Nation of ours.  Some are disabled for life, mentally and physically   Others have lost arms and/or legs.  Unfortunately, they will never get those things back.  They have braved all elements that Mother Nature has to offer.  They are there, ready, waiting, to do what is necessary, to continue to defend America so that we all may sleep in peace when they do not.

I say "Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I appreciate each and everyone of you.  You all are in my prayers every night that God will watch over you and your families.  God bless you and thank you again."

Next I would like to say "Congratulation to the Marine Corp'.  What a military force you are, have been and will continue to be.  I have always heard it said 'once a marine always a marine'.  That is a statement that I feel is true.  They show TV ads that state 'the few, the proud, the Marines.'  You are to be commended on the honor you carry during and after your service to this country.  I truly appreciate the sacrifices that all of our armed forces have made over the years, the ones you continue to make today and those that will carry on in years to come.

And for myself, my life changed on November 23, 2009.  It has not been a easy road but it has been one that I can and do travel everyday.  My journey during this process has been unbelievable   I have been given back so much in my life and gained more to go along with those treasures.  I can only say that by the grace of God I am still alive.  Only by the grace and mercy from God that I have been given blessing after blessing in this process called recovery.  This blog is only possible due to the changes God has made in me and my life and the support of so many people, family, friends and folks I have no idea who you are, but I thank you all.

Overwhelmed, I ask that if you can, please continue to pray and support me and my recovery.  Help me to know what God's will is for me each day and pray I am able to carry His will out.  Again, this is a process and I will always be in recovery.  Addiction is a disease that is incurable and fatal.  I will never be rid of it, I can only arrest it and live the way I know God wants me to.  If you or someone you know and love has a problem or just feels like there may be a problem, please check out my resource page as there are many places for support and treatment.  Everyone that wants recovery has the right to have recovery.

Doing this blog is just one more way that I try to give back what has been given to me.  A life without the use of drugs.  Man, what a wonderful thing this is.  I have never been happier in all my life.  I still have issues that need to be resolved and/or worked out, but today I am not afraid to face life on it's own terms.  I am proof that the old saying 'once an addict always an addict' is no longer true today.  There is a choice we can make, but we have to make it.  No one can make it for us.  We have lost jobs, homes, children, material things, family and on and on.  But the most wonderful thing about it all is that we can get some of these things back.  Not all at once, but little by little.  We have to do the footwork to reap the rewards that recovery has to offer.

Today, I am an active member of society.  I do count, matter, and mean something to someone.  During my process I have been told 'you're just too honest', maybe I am.  That is a decision that I made when I started my process of recovery at a treatment facility.  Too honest, well sorry but there is no need for me to lie or even sugar coal the truth just so someone can handle it better.  I say what is on my mind.  Now mind you , I do not set out to hurt anyone by being honest.  Don't think for a minute that I am 'cured'.  No such thing with addiction.  Relapse is part of recovery.  Not that everyone will relapse, but in that, it is always a possibility for relapse to happen.  For me I have to continue the footwork I have learned, do the right thing and continue to grow and reach for newer heights.

Again, thanks to those of you that read my blog.  This is one of the best treatment acts I can do for this gets me out of my own head and into these post and what you may want to know about next.  This blog helps to keep me motivated in my recovery.  Comments are welcomed, good, bad or indifferent.  Thank you and I love you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment