Sunday, October 28, 2012

Addiction, A Mental Disorder?

Those of you that read my blog on a regular basis, thank you so much, you know, I hope, that I try to do some type research on each topic that my posts are about.  This one is no different.  Please remember that I am writing as if all were my experiences.  Some are and some are not.  In recovery, I have learned that the only person I can control and get recovery for is me.  No one else can do it for me, as I can not do it for anyone else.

There have been posts and in 'About Me', where I have tried to briefly explain my health issues.  Physically and mentally.  Having done more, I think, on my physical.  I want to explore the subject of mental disorders and drug abuse.  How they tie in together, if so how, why?  I in no way am trying to 'counsel' someone or do I feel the need to give advice as to handle some one's mental stance.  I am not handing out 'free advice', just want to explore the subject of mental disorders and drug abuse.

Let me start by saying that 'all facts' are public record and can be used to raise awareness, without written permission to use and reprint.  It all can be pulled up on the Internet.

So, with that, I would like to look and explore mental disorders and drug abuse.  Is there a connection between the two, mental disorders and drug abuse?  Does drug abuse cause mental disorders?  Does treatment of mental disorders lead to drug abuse?  What are some of the common mental disorders associated with drug abuse?

Drug abuse 'IS' a mental disorder in and of itself.  The obsessive-compulsive desire that pushes to more use or the need felt to 'get one more hit'.  Lets look at the mental disorders, their definition and just how many people suffer from each disorder along with their drug abuse.  Again, these are facts that are published publicly and have no copyrights to obtain for their use to educate and raise awareness.

Many chronic drug abusers often also suffer from a serious mental disorder.  These addicts may be referred to as co-occurring or dual diagnosis.  Chronic drug abuse is the habitual abuse of licit and /or illicit drugs to the extent that the abuser substantially injures a person's health or substantially interferes with their social and/or economic functions.  Lost the power of self-control over the use of drugs.

Mental disorders common among chronic drug abuser's are schizophrenic, bipolar, and anxiety disorders (PTSD, ADHD, panic, etc.)  Schizophrenic, also called dementia praecox.  This is a severe mental disorder that affect 2.4 million chronic drug abusers.  This characterized by, but not all, emotional blunting, intellectual deterioration, social isolation, delusions and hallucinations.  Bipolar is characterized by periods of manic alternating with periods of depression.   This disorders affects approximately 5.7 million chronic drug abusers.  Someone who suffers from being bipolar also has interspersed with relatively long intervals of normal mood.  The anxiety disorders makeup approximately 40 million chronic drug abusers.

People who are treated for mental disorders are at an increased risk of becoming a chronic drug abuser.  The same can be said about the chronic drug abuser, that are at an increased risk of developing some type of mental disorder in addition to the drug abuse.  Partly because drug abuse is a mental disorder in itself.  Chronic drug abuse and serious mental disorders may exist completely independently of one another.  They can be treated.  Researchers are looking for the most effective way to treat chronic drug abuse with mental disorders and if treating them together at the same time will lead to better recovery.  At  present they are mainly treated separately.  Many are sent back and forth from drug abuse and mental health settings.

One reason to touch on this subject is because I, myself, suffer from mental disorders.  PTSD (post-traumatic Stress Disorder) and generalized anxiety.  PTSD can occur after having seen or experienced a traumatic event that has involved the threat of injury or death.  Generalized anxiety is having an apprehension not linked to a specific cause or situation.  My experience is that PTSD and anxiety are like my drug addiction, I can be treated for them but I can never be cured from them.

My mental disorders stem from events in my life growing up and events that took place during my second marriage.  I have been held at gunpoint with no way out.  Trapped.  God is good, for He saved me and has allowed me the ability to share my experiences with others, here in this blog and in my personal life as well.  It takes time to work through events and situations to try to understand what and why somethings happened. What was my part in those situations and how I can learn or be taught how to deal with the mental disorders when they flare up.  I have learned 'tools' to use when I find myself experiencing some of the signs of my mental disorders including my addiction.

At times I can be on top of my addiction and disorders and can see the behaviors start that are connected to my disorders.  Unfortunately, there are times that I have no warning signs at all and am thrown into 'crazy mode', as I call it.  Luckily, my family and close friends understand my mental health issues and they are there to help me through the difficult times.  I, still to this day, have to work at keeping my addiction arrested and to cope with the mental disorders.  As researchers are trying to find ways and means to deal with the drug addiction and mental disorders separately and together, I must do my best to keep them arrested for now.  That is not always an easy task, but we all have to do the best that we can on a daily basis and try to learn from others and our own mistakes.

The credit must be given where credit is due.  The treatment facility that helped me detox and taught me how to work on myself and my addiction.  Also, the facility that I attended on an out-patient status after coming home from the drug treatment facility.  They have taught me many tools to work with for my addiction and mental disorders.  To my family, who have been by my side since day one of this new life of mine.  And to the people that are part of my 12 step program, without those people and most of all my sponsor,I know I would not have made it this far in my recovery.  And let me not forget all the folks out there that are supporting this blog.  You make it so that I want to continue to share awareness and information for anyone needing it.

As always, "Thank You" for your time and any comments you may want to leave.  If you would like to start receiving my blog when new posts are added, please register as a member or fill out the email info at the bottom.  Don't forget the Resource page as there are lots of information there for those that are searching for help for themselves and/or loved ones.

Thank you again, I truly love and appreciate each of you for your continuing support.  God bless  you all....

1 comment:

  1. Addiction is a complex illness that must be treated.There are no absolutes in the world of substance abuse recovery.Intervention help

    ReplyDelete