Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Personal "Thank You"

As I sit and reflect on this our country, United States of America, I am reminded of how this great Nation came about.  Going all the way back to 1776, or sooner, people have been protecting us and our country.  Many lives have been lost here on American soil as well as in foreign lands.

Many of those lost on foreign soil have never returned home.  Brave men and women, have paid the price for protecting this country and it's "Freedom".  Many have been injured either physically and/or mentally.  Their lives will never be the same.

Wars and fighting change a person and the way they look at things and the world as a whole.  Some of the brave men and women that have suffered for this Nation, will continue to do so until they, too, are laid to rest.  Then there are those that are able to continue the fight, even in peace time, in order to ensure the United States is protected and that freedom remains throughout the land.

Yes, on this Memorial Weekend, I ask only one small thing, please pray or say "thank you" for that solider that has given their life, the solider that has given a piece of themselves, and the soldiers that are still protecting us and our country all over the world.  Some are and have been away from their families and still have the courage to continue to serve in order for us to be protected.  Not knowing from one day to the next if they will be fighting against someone or fighting for their life due to injury.

"Thank you to the men and women that serve and have served this Nation.  I, personally thank you for allowing me the comfort of a safe place to live.  Being able to lay down at night and have a peaceful sleep, while you are in conditions that may be far worst than any I can imagine.  It is because of you that I write this and am able to publish it with no threat to me, for the Constitution (right now) protects me and you serve to protect that Constitution."

"Thank you for the sacrifices you and your families have made and are still making today.  I can never, no matter how hard I try, be able to thank you enough.  I will never be able to shake your hand and say simply "thank you and God bless".

As I sit here and reflect on the "true" meaning of Memorial Day, I shed a few tears and whisper a few small prayers of gratitude for men and women I do not know, but know they are there protecting me and what is mine.

So, thank you for the things that you do, have done or will do in the future in order for me to say I live in a country that is free and I am proud of it.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment