Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hope - Something Positive to Look Toward

When I first knew I had a problem, well, when I finally admitted I had a problem with drugs, I felt that all hope was gone of me ever getting control of my life back.  In and of hopelessness I searched and reached out for help and found what could restore, renew hope inside of me.  I found the hope of one day being in recovery, learning to live and living without the use of drugs or using anyone.

With this new found hope, I had no idea of the wonderful events that were to come into my life or happen in my life.  Hope gave me back to the God of my understanding, Jesus Christ.  Hope gave me what I needed to take the steps necessary for my spiritual growth and growth in recovery.

Without hope, there is nothing, for me, that can help me.  I must first find that hope to tap into and grow.  With hope, I can share that I need help with people I know who are there to help me.

Hope is the spiritual principle I had to relearn and understand in order to begin my journey in recovery.  Hope is defined by many as a general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; one that gives promise for the future.  My spirit was renewed with the hope of one day at a time I can stay clean.  With hope, I could learn to live again, I could mend relationships I had broken, I could get up day after day and be able, with a clear conscience say "Thank you God for giving me another day and another opportunity to help someone just like someone has and is helping me".

With hope, being able to have a positive outlook toward my future, I have a fighting chance against the disease of addiction.  I have a positive outlook on most things, though I am still working on areas of my life and am applying "hope"to those parts, that God will see me through to the other side.

Hope is not the only spiritual principle that I have been relearning and applying to my life.  You see, to me, these spiritual principles are what I was taught growing up and had stopped applying them to my life.  I had abandoned God because I thought I didn't matter, I was less than, I could and would never have a life that "normal" people had.  So, I turned to drugs.  Though this happened to me later in life, it still happened.  It doesn't matter what age I was for the disease of addiction was just waiting until the best moment to get me and let me lose myself in the process.

My next several posts are going to be along this line, spiritual principles.  As I stated I have had to relearn and apply them to my life every day.  For those that are not addicted this probably sounds a little, well a lot, like bull.  Okay, consider this, surrender, acceptance, honesty, willingness, faith, tolerance and a few others are principles that I am working everyday on relearning  and then applying them to my life.  I also stated that spiritual principles were what I grew up on.  The do's and don't's, rights and wrongs, good and bad.

I am hoping that this will be an experience that we can have together as I tell how each principle is applied in my life, what I feel the definition is and what I have learned so far, if anything, from applying the principle in my life.  As always, if you would like to leave a comment or email me due to anonymity, I always love hearing from y'all.  And, if there is ever anything that I can explain better or you have a question, please let me know.

Thanks to those who have read this and hopefully, I have helped, in some small way, you or someone you know to begin on that road of recovery.  The disease of addiction cannot be cured but we can arrest it, put it to sleep, lock it up and away and eventually lose that desire to use.  Maybe I have helped that person just make it through today.  It does not matter to me, if this helps someone then that is just icing on the cake.  Just sayin'.......


No comments:

Post a Comment