Monday, August 13, 2012

Open Mindedness

Meaning, I feel, having the ability to look at all sides, open to new ideas, knowing that my way is not or may not be the only way something is.  Open to see or hear all possibilities.

This principle was hard for me at first in early recovery I think mainly because I didn't really know it's meaning or how I could be open minded.  Being told that in order for me to grow I had to become open minded.  Needed to understand that just because I have experienced things one way did not meant that they could only mean that or that was not the only way to have that experience.  I had to be willing to explore new ideas and thoughts.  See that it is okay to change.  Being open minded about a Higher Power, to the importance of spiritual principles and how they could work differently in my life.  Had to be open minded and research that religion and spiritual are not the same things, though many folks think that they are.

In recovery, they say "new ideas" cannot be grafted onto a closed mind.  By being open minded to new things, new ideas, I can see and learn how life should be.  Learn new and/or better ways to express myself, communicate with others, deal with everyday situations, and have a true relationship with my Higher Power.  Growing in all areas of my life.

Being open minded helps me to become a responsible member of society.  To take care of myself mentally, physically and spiritually.  I have mentioned before about my health issues.  If I were not open to new ideas, I would not be where I am physically today.  Yes, I hurt everyday.  Some more than others, but everyday.  Some days so bad that I can't get out of bed or I in no way want anyone to touch or hug me.  Yes, getting hugs does hurt.  Being open minded gives me the chance to see new ways of doing things physically, as to not put such a strain on my body.  It has allowed me to see that I do need to see a doctor on a regular basis.  That I have to accept (see, there is that acceptance working) that I will always hurt and need medications to  help control or lessen my pain some of the time.

I have to be open minded to accept that others may not be where I am at in my recovery.  They may not have a program at all.  I have come to understand that's okay.  Everyone doesn't have to be in the same place.  Because of this we all have different experiences we can share and see that there are other ways of thinking and doing things.

Recovery, for me, is a process and it is subject to revision all the time.  A good example of my being open minded is I have always said that I had to become selfish in my recovery.  That it has to come first before anything else.  A fellow addict pointed out to me that the 12 step program that I am in is not a selfish program but a "selfless" program.  If I were not open minded, I would not be able to hear and listen to what they had to say and then process that information.  Yes, they are correct in that my program is a 'selfless' program, but I myself, have to be selfish in how I work my program.  I, and this is just for me, have to put my recovery before people, places and things in my life.  If I don't, then I could lose all that I have gained and anything new that is to be learned.  I would have a closed mind and that does not work in my process of recovery.  So, yes, this 12 step program is not a selfish program in and of itself but a selfless program.  I am the one that is being selfish, but that is the only way I know to work my recovery and continue to grow and learn.

Open mindedness has taught me a lot.  It has afforded me with the ability to see and look at new, exciting ideas and how they can work in my life.  It has allowed me to accept others even if we do not agree in all ways.  I now understand that everyone has a right to their own ideas and beliefs even if I do not agree.  It does not  necessarily mean that they are wrong and I am right.  Or they are right and I am wrong.  Just open yourself to the possibility of "what if?"

Open mindedness gives me the added ability to see someone else point of view.  How they may have come to the conclusion they did.  It does not mean that I agree with them, only that I can understand their side.  It gives me the ability to understand that my way may not always be the best way.  Having a closed mind stops my growth, I can become stagnate, unbending to change.  Unwilling to listen to others that have "been there, done that".  A closed mind will only make me sicker and in the end put me right back out there to die.  You will keep getting what you have always gotten if you keep doing the same things you have always done.  You  have to change, I have to change from being close minded to having an open mind.

The disease of addiction wants us, addicts, dead!  In my mind, this is clear cut, no if, and's or buts about it.  If I do not change, nothing will change around me.  I have to be mindful of all things I do.  How I interact with others.  How what I do may affect someone else.  Things that I say and how I say them.  There are so many reasons that having an open mind will help.  For me, I have to use the spiritual principles everyday of my life in everything that I do in my life.

I hope that as I post these principles that I practice on a daily basis in my life that you will be able to see how they all can work together.  I hope that if you are unsure if you are an addict or if you know you are an addict, that my post will help you to see somethings more clearly.  That they will help anyone that reads them to understand a little something about the disease of addiction.  That an addict can be helped if they want it.  Family, friends, people you work with, they all can get a better understanding of how an addict's mind works.  What may work for them to help those still sick and suffering.  Yes, addiction is a disease.  It is progressive, incurable and can be fatal.  Please, if there are questions, look at the resource page to find someone or place that may be able to help if I cannot.  If I can reach just one addict out there.  That they know there is a better way of life.  That they, too, can get a daily reprieve from active addiction if they want it.  They have to ask and want what there is to offer.  They must be willing to take that first step, as hard as it is, and admit, "Yes, I am an addict and I need help!"




No comments:

Post a Comment