Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Only Christmas Gift I Can Give to You

Mom and Dad,

I have thought about what to get you two for Christmas.  Unable to think of anything, I give you this. Hope you know and understand where this comes from and just how much y'all mean to me.  So, here goes...

Christmas past found our family loving and giving to each other.  Remembering those days past put a smile on my face, for I truly feel our family have a special love for each other that no other family has.  We always had a real Christmas tree and it made the house smell of that cedar-pine odor that gives you that warm feeling inside.  Though we had our family Christmas on PPG's work schedule for dad, Christmas would not be the same had we not waited when needed.  Excited and wanting to know what all my presents were, I learned that was Christmas at our house.

Going to Grandma Morrow's house Christmas Eve was always a favorite time of mine until God decided He needed her home to be with Grandpa and others that loved her as much as I did.  I truly miss her, as I miss Grandma and Grandpa Jackson.  Sadly, I can't say that about Grandpa Morrow for I was really too young to even remember him.  I can accept that knowing that one day I will meet him again.

This Christmas, I have no ways or means to 'buy' a present for either of you.  But because both of you have taught me that Christmas is not about the gifts that are given or received, but the love that we have for each other and the God had for us all with the gift of the birth of His son, Jesus.  Christmas would be meaningless if there were no love for us to share with each other and others.

Growing up, Christmas became more about see loved one than giving gifts though we still exchanged gifts when possible.  I have never felt anything but true love from y'all.  Even the times in my life that I did not make the good, right decisions.  And that's just it, y'all taught me that we learn from our mistakes and move on.  There have been times in my life that if you had turned your backs on me, I would have understood in the end.  But neither of you have ever done that.  You both have been there for me in your our way.

No other person could be so filled with gratitude as I have for my parents.  Through divorces, unhealthy relationships and drug use you both have been there for me.  My recovery would be nothing with out y'all by my side.  Amends have been done, not all have been verbal, most are living amends.  In the hope that the way I live my life today, everyday, is the best and most loving amends I feel I can make to my entire family.

You have stood by me, guided me, and most of all y'all LOVE me.  And as I stated, that is the greatest gift of all.  God saw fit to make you two my parents.  He picked you two out especially for me.  He picked my brothers and sister, just for me.  As with any family we have had our arguments, disagreements and fights but we always did it with love for one another and that made us stronger people.

Now, God has seen fit for me to be under your roof once again.  No, this is not the first time, but I feel this has been the best time of all.  We have fun and laugh at each other.  We are there for each other no matter what.  We still have disagreements and don't see eye to eye on somethings, but we still LOVE each other.

God is good.  I could not have asked for a better life than the one that you two have provided for me, my entire life.  No matter where or what my problems were or are, y'all have been there.  Respect is something that I have learned is not given it is earned.  The respect that I have for the two of you is just as great as the gratitude.  There are times some days that tears come to my eyes for as I said God has given us a special time.  A special time that I would not change for anything in this world.

My Christmas wish for the two of you are that you both find the peace, happiness and love that you used to build this family of ours.  Only you two have the right combinations of those three ingredients for it to work as beautifully has it has.  Your family is spread out from here to the southern states, yet we all know that the others love us even if they are far away.

So, in closing, I hope that you know, but that you feel all the love and gratitude that I have for you both as my parents.  My level of respect is overflowing as well.  If others could have had you as parents they would have been just as blessed as I have been.

I love you , mom and dad.  And thank you for being my parents.  Thank you God for making them my parents and the family that you have allowed them to have and share with others.

Love you both!


No comments:

Post a Comment